How to Get Started
We know your story may include an array of different experiences and emotions. When thinking about your personal story, you may find yourself asking “where do I start?” There’s so many things to share when it comes to living with obesity and how it can shape our world. We encourage you to think about experiences you’ve had that will help you tell:
- Stories about Your Journey and the Paths You’ve Taken
- Stories of Inspiration, Hope and Success (remembering that success is not about the number on the scale)
- Stories of Challenges and Obstacles
- Stories to Help Others Better Understand
- Stories about Being Your Own Advocate and Standing-up to Make a Difference
Recording your story doesn’t have to be a complicated production. Feel free to film your video using your smartphone, tablet, webcam or digital camera to record your story wherever you feel comfortable. Once you’ve recorded your video, you can follow the easy steps to upload your video to the Video Library. We want this to be a simple and enjoyable process so we’ve come up with some steps to help you navigate this platform and share your story!
Ready to share?
There’s no RIGHT way to share your own narrative, but if you need some inspiration on where to start, here are a few statements/questions you can use to guide your story:
- Reflect back to when you realized weight was impacting your health/everyday life.
- How has your journey with weight shaped your life experiences?
- What obstacles have you overcome? What success have you had?
- What ways have you tried to manage and/or deal with obesity in the past?
- What helpful words could you give to others who are coping with obesity?
Helpful Content Guidelines:
- Refrain from giving-out medical advice.
- Be aware that what worked for you does not mean it will work for all, and avoid putting down other treatments/approaches to obesity management.
- If using a product/program name, use it sparingly so your video is not perceived as an advertisement. Videos with over-mention of products/services will not be able to be shared.
- If your video includes the mention of individuals, or the individuals themselves, please be sure that they have given permission for the video to be shared.
- Videos that include any of the following will not be shared: crude, stigmatizing, or hateful remarks; nudity or sexual content; harmful or dangerous rhetoric; hate speech; violent/graphic content; spam, scams, or misleading content.